Construction of the Luna commenced after the end of the Dominion War at Starfleet Antares Shipyards, and continued until 2379, when she was launched for her shakedown cruise. However, the Luna suffered a warp core breach during the shakedown and was destroyed.
Afterwards, as a tribute to the sacrifice of the Luna's original crew, Starfleet Command renamed the next available Luna-class vessel the USS Luna. The first two Luna-class ships, USS Titan and USS Europa, were launched as planned. The third planned Luna-class ship was christened USS Luna. During construction she was outfitted with an experimental organic data network, a step up from the highly successful bio-neural data network, as well as a positronic computer core. The Luna was launched under the command of Captain Aaron Kennedy.
- Commanding officer: Captain Aaron Kennedy
- Executive officer: Commander Talia Shi'san
- Chief tactical officer: Lt. Commander Brian Pelletier
- Chief medical officer: Lt. Commander Saru Jaron
- Chief flight controller: Lieutenant JG Sean Marquez
- Chief security officer: Master Chief Petty Officer Filimoeka Anitelu
- Flight controller, shuttlecraft pilot: Ensign Rosse Lucan
- Engineering crew chief: Chief Petty Officer Kala Patel
- Operations manager, security team leader: Chief Petty Officer Alyxis Coraya
- "The moon is a friend for the lonesome to talk to"
- — Carl Sandburg
|USS Alcubierre - USS Amalthea - USS Bianca - USS Callisto - USS Charon - USS Europa - USS Hyperion - USS Io - USS Jadzia Dax - USS Lambda Paz - USS Luna (I) - USS Luna (II) - USS Tethys - USS Titan - USS Triton|
|Starfleet Command (RPG): USS Argonaut - USS Cronus - USS Paul Revere - USS Poseidon - USS Tokyo|