The Hunter was commissioned in 2373 on stardate 50512.5, under the command of Captain Thomas Halloway. Shortly after launch, the Hunter was sent through the Delta Wormhole to defend the colony of New Terra in the F'asa sector of the Delta Quadrant.
When Captain Halloway fell into a coma after an encounter with a malevolent force known as The Entity, command of the Hunter fell to Captain Katherine Forbes. After the Entity's departure, the Delta Wormhole became unstable, and the Hunter and her flotilla were stranded in the Delta Quadrant. (Where Angels Fear)
Lieutenant Scott also served aboard the Hunter very briefly before being transferred off, his last posting was on-board the USS Phantom with a current rank of Commander and serving as the ships Chief of Operations and second officer.
- Originally a member of the email division of the Starfleet Simulation Group (SSG), the USS Hunter was the first PBEM sim that Tim Morgan joined, in 1997. After a change in command, he left the group in 1998, but always remembered the Hunter fondly.
- In 2001, the Hunter and several other sims left SSG and formed the Delta Fleet (PBEM).
- An earlier name for the Hunter was Avatar.
- The Hunter was designed and modeled by Mark Kingsnorth, based upon the Nova-class design at the back of the Star Trek TNG Technical Manual. He also wrote the back story to Thomas Halloway and participated in the early days of the Sim.
- Delta Fleet - where information on the Hunter can still be found.