The USS Bluefin was an Albacore-class Border Service cutter which saw extensive service during the Cardassian wars of the 2350s and the Dominion War in the 2370s as an escort vessel. Her primary mission with the Border Service was search and rescue, interdiction, and patrol duty. (Star Trek: Tales of the USS Bluefin)
Captain Joseph B. Akinola served on the Bluefin for over 25 years, the last eleven as her commanding officer. Bluefin primarily patrolled the Borderland region where Federation, Klingon and Orion space came together. Due to instability following the Dominion War, the crew of the Bluefin was often called upon for escort and SAR missions far from her normal patrol area.
- Captain Joseph B. Akinola, CO: Human, African heritage, raised in space; age 59.
- Commander Dale T. McBride, XO (2370-2376): Human, North American heritage; deceased at age 43.
- Commander Inga Strauss, XO (2376- ): Human, German heritage; age 30.
- Lt. Commander T'Ser, Operations/second officer: Vulcan, raised on Earth; age 42.
- Lt. Commander Gralt, Chief Engineer: Tellarite; age 67.
- Commander Calvin H. Baxter, chief medical officer (2369-2376): Human, North American heritage; deceased at age 70.
- Lieutenant Octavius Castille, chief medical officer (2376- ): Rigelian-human, Rigelian heritage; age 33.
- Lieutenant Nigel Bane, Assistant Ops: Human, Australian heritage; age 34.
- Senior Chief Petty Officer Solly Brin, Chief of the Boat: Red Orion; age 48.
- Lieutenant Sarnek, Helm/Tactical (2376- ): Vulcan; age 30.
- Lieutenant Fralk, helm officer: Denobulan; age 29.
- Lieutenant JG Bralus, helm officer: Bolian; age 26.
- Ensign Maya Vashtee, Assisant Ops/Navigator: Human, Sri Lankan heritage; age 23.