The Starfleet Surgeon General was a high-ranking position at Starfleet Command on Earth. The Surgeon General was the flag officer at Starfleet Medical with authority over doctors, nurses and other medical personnel assigned to Starfleet ships, starbases and other facilities. The position was also the ultimate authority over the training and education of medical personnel at Starfleet Medical Academy.
- This presumably includes any distance learning aboard ships or other Starfleet facilities.
Included in the Surgeon General's scope of authority was the determination of competency of all medical officers, non-commissioned officers and enlisted personnel. In 2269, in accordance with Starfleet Command, relieved Dr. Arthur Coleman of his duties due to "administrative incompetence" and for making "flagrant medical blunders." (TOS: "Turnabout Intruder"; Orion Press: "Never Forget").
Flag officers holding this office had the authority to grant awards and commendations, including the Starfleet Surgeon General's Decoration. Leonard McCoy was a recipient of this decoration. (TAS: "Albatross")
- There's no canonical indication of what Beverly Crusher's rank as head of Starfleet Medical was in 2364-2365. If, as in the 20th and 21st-century Public Health Service of the United States of America, the minimum grade for the billet was vice admiral, she might have held that rank. However, her rank was (reverted to?) commander when she returned to the Enterprise-D. (TNG: "Evolution")
Starfleet Surgeons GeneralEdit
- Harris Eggleton (2258-2265+) (TOS: My Brother's Keeper trilogy: Constitution)
- Philip Boyce (2264-2276) (Orion Press: Liberation From Hell)
- M'Benga (2292-2294) (Orion Press: "A Motley Crew")
- Vice Admiral Leonard McCoy (2294-) (Orion Press: Chekov's Enterprise)
- Beverly Crusher (2364-2365, 2379-) (TNG novels: A Time to Be Born, A Time for War, A Time for Peace)
- Yerbi Fandau (-2379) (TNG novel: A Time to Sow)