Play-by-email is a variant of RPG where the participants write down the moves of their characters through e-mail.
- Players need not to be active at the same time
- A game of this type can be set up for the fraction of the cost other types of gaming can represent
- The game can be quite hard to follow, especially when the game has been active for a long period of time
- The game can take a toll on one's mailbox, since one can receive a large quantity of e-mails for the game
- see Category:PBEM for a list of Play-by-email games.