Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Alternate names for the nation-state in other continuities include United Martian Colonies (Star Trek Star Charts and Martian Free State. (FASA RPG)
The capital city of this government was Ares City. (TOS novel: The Captain's Daughter) The document outlining the goals of such a secession was the Fundamental Declarations of the Martian Colonies. (TOS: "Court Martial")
While unmanned and manned missions to Mars were undertaken in Earth's 20th and 21st centuries (VOY: "One Small Step"), and Utopia Planitia --- a scientific research outpost -- was constructed in the 2060s, the first "official" colony was not established until 2103. (Star Trek Star Charts) (Earlier settlements, such as Ghazzat Hashim, were not considered official as they were neither sanctioned nor funded by any of Earth's nation-states, but by ostensibly private monies.) (Star Trek: Shadowstar Station) Most of the colonies were established in Mars's northern hemisphere. (TOS novel: Inception)
Unfortunately, the first serial murders in an extraterrestrial colony occurred soon after, in 2105, by an entity that would later be known as Redjac. (TOS: "Wolf in the Fold") Among the eight victims was Adele Adiwoso de Lesseps, a daughter of Helena Adiwoso, a Terran diplomat. (Star Trek: Shadowstar Station)
During these early years, the War for Martian Independence -- fomented by the Gundersdottir's Dome Rebellion -- took place, a prolonged and bloody conflict. (Beneath the Raptor's Wing) A colonial governor during this time was John Hammerlich. (Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology; Federation Spaceflight Chronology, vol. 4)
- In Inception, the Martian Revolution of the early- to mid-2110s was said to have been sparked by an Earth conglomerate's deliberately blowing up 65 people who had refused to get off "their" land. It is not known if this is the same incident as the Gundersdottir's Dome Rebellion.
The Martian Freehold Uprisings may have been a series of individual battles within the overall war, or another name for the war as a whole. Corporal Chang, one of the MACOs aboard Enterprise in 2153-54, was a veteran of the Uprisings. (ENT novel: Last Full Measure)
One of the terraforming projects designed to make the planet livable for humans was called Blue Horizon. The method used was capturing comets in the Sol system's Oort cloud and redirecting them to impact at Mars's poles. (ENT novel: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm)
Natives and residents of the ColoniesEdit
- Nikolai Barstow (Star Trek: Shadowstar Station: Operation Blackjack)
- Mira Romaine (TOS: "The Lights of Zetar")
- Ava Sigurdsdottir (Star Trek: Accord)
- Simon Tarses (TNG: "The Drumhead")