- For the general "Marines" article, see Starfleet Marine Corps.
- For the "Marines" of Star Trek: Prometheus, see Starfleet Intelligence Special Operations Branch (Prometheus).
- General Francis Castillo
- Major General Cole MacArthur
- Colonel Taras Galnar
- Lieutenant Colonel Andrea Hammond
- Major Richard Carlin
- 2nd Lieutenant Rakul Kemis
The Corps was formed as a combat unit in response to various incidents in the years preceding 2380. Despite its name, it is not analogous to the Marines of past Earth militaries, but is a special operations force, used primarily to defend the Federation when Starfleet simply isn't enough. Because Starfleet had seen record numbers of casualties as a result of close quarters combat with the Jem'Hadar during the Dominion War, the Federation Council ordered the formation of a new branch of the military, specifically for the purpose of combat and to be used in the most urgent of situations. Thus, the Federation Marine Corps was formed. However, after the Shinzon Incident of 2379, the Romulan Star Empire, the primary enemy of the Federation, sued for peace, and the Federation was enemyless. Thus, the Corps became mostly a defensive force, used to stop any number of minor threats to the Federation.