A decommission is the term used for the removal of a ship from the service of her governing body. This event usually involves a decommissioning ceremony.
The decommissioning ceremony can be a somber occasion. It has little of the elaborate ceremony of ship commissioning, but carries significant tradition. Decommissioning ceremonies vary from fleet to fleet.
- There has been no significant information about Starfleet decommissioning ceremonies in canon. At this time, neither canon nor fanon has featured a starship decommissioning, though ships have been decommissioned during many various story arcs.
Notable ships that have been decommissionedEdit
- USS Arcturus (NCC-1807) - 2369
- Discovery (NX-04) - early 23rd century
- Enterprise (NX-01) - 2161 after serving 10 years.
- USS Hathaway (NCC-2593) - 2264 after serving 68 years.
- USS New Reliant (NCC-39801) - Sometime in the 25th century.
- USS Ragronok (NCC-74134) - 2377 after serving 5 years.
- USS Rittenhouse (NCC-3851) - Unknown.
- USS Tamerlane (NCC-510) - 2272 after serving 28 years.
- USS Westphalen (NCC-15691) - 2370
- USS Wildfire (NCC-33467) - Sometime before 2375 (Though the Wildfire was later recommissioned and returned to service) (USS Baldwin: "Determined Warrior")