|USS Baldwin (series) episode|
|Original post date:||2000|
|Previous episode:||"Determined Warrior"|
|Next episode:||"Healing Link"|
- "Here's the deal. I’ve compiled recent intelligence reports regarding Dominion activity near the Ludine Nebula. We’ve got bandits going in, but they don't come out."
"Perhaps they are building for an attack and shielding us to keep us from finding out where and when."
"That is a possibility, Amanda, and something that must be seriously considered. The only way to find out is to go in there ourselves."
"I'd be more than willing to volunteer,"
"I can set you up, but I do want someone else to go with you on this."
"Count me in."
"Now that that's settled, have Nimitz and Wildfire ready for inspection in 45 minutes."
- "Andrea, Amanda: be careful, good luck, and godspeed."
- — Patrick, wishing his friends well on their mission.
- "There is no way we can use phasers or torpedoes in this nebula. Even if we could, we can't target it automatically."
"What about a tetryon pulse from the main deflector?"
"Tetryon pulses would do the job; however, how do you plan on directing the pulse?"
"With a steady hand and a good pair of crosshairs.'"
- "We've decloaked, the bandits haven’t noticed us yet. It appears that between the sensor jam and the nebula, their flying blind, tool. Wildfire, while you take care of the array we’ll head out of the nebula to call for reinforcements."
"We're on it. Anna, are you ready,"
"As ready as I'll ever be. Engaging the manual steering control."
- — Andrea, Amanda, and Anna, implementing a plan.
- "Roz, what are the Dominion forces we left behind doing?"
"They are on a pursuit course."
"Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am , stuck in the middle with you."
"Have you been listening to more of that rock and roll?"
- "Captain, the Fifth Fleet is approaching, and they have brought some company with them."
- — Lindsay Curtis, announcing the arrival of reinforcements
Astrometrics; USS Baldwin; bandit; Betazed; Ingrum, Anna; Ingrum, Patrick; Ludine Nebula; USS Nimitz; Riffin, Andrea; Stacey, Amanda; Starbase 375; Starfleet Academy; Starfleet Fifth Fleet; Stuck in the Middle with You; tetryon; USS Ticonderoga; USS Wildfire
- The title of the story is a reference to the Kenny Loggins song from the movie Top Gun.
- Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: First Contact are mentioned in the opening log
- The Astrometrics Lab is partially a Star Trek: Voyager inspiration, and partially due to the author's personal interest in maps.
- The term "bandit" comes from modern military slang
Danger Zone Full text of the story, on the author's website.