|USS Baldwin (series) episode|
|Original post date:||1999|
|Previous episode:||"Time's Eagle"|
|Next episode:||"Storm Front"|
Aboard the starship Nimitz, a young lieutenant takes command with the support of her peers.
- “Fix the plasma leak first and try to get warp engines back online. I don't want to be stranded out here. And unless anyone made it off the bridge, it looks like I’m in charge. Report all updates to me until further notice.”
- — Andrea Riffin takes charge of Nimitz
- “I'm Captain Patrick Ingrum, USS Baldwin. What seems to be the problem here.”
- “We're venting plasma heavily. Our warp drive is shot.”
- “I think we could figure that out looking out our windows. We brought the necessary equipment to fix the plasma leaks.”
- — Patrick Ingrum and Andrea Riffin, discussing battle damage
- “Hey Patrick – or should i say ‘sir’.”
- “For you Katy, Patrick is fine. How have you been,”
- “Well, you know: shoot a few Jem’Hadar, try to repair the damage, shoot some more. Our last foray got us in a major ambush. I think most of the other ships in our fleet were either destroyed or managed to retreat. We probably would have been toast as well if our ship weren't as sturdy.”
- “We've been on a few excursions against the Dominion as well. We just caught them trying to disrupt a 20th century football game.”
- “How did you do?”
- “We shut them out.”
- — Katy Cassoday and Patrick Ingrum, talking about battle action.
- “Basically, Reinette, it's down to this: When it's absolutely time to step up, not everyone answers the call. Not only does Andrea Riffin have the capability to stand up and take command, but she has a crew that accepts her leadership.”
- “Kinda like you and Baldwin, or Jenna and Ottawa.”
- “Yeah, but in those cases, we had the semi-luxury of hand-picking our crew. Andrea has a crew that she can work with essentially picked out for her.”
- “You're right, Rich. If you think she has the capability of taking command, you should recommend her to Starfleet.”
- — Patrick and Reinette Hernandez, about making Nimitz Andrea's ship.
- “How's your first week of command?”
- “It's going all right. I've heard that sometimes when a new captain takes over a ship with most of her crew intact, the new captain occasionally receives a little resentment. I'm a little surprised that hasn't happened.”
- “I know what you're talking about. I noticed that when you took charge, the crew accepted your leadership. In fact, Katy thought you would be good in command — she had you picked out as a first officer, though.”
- “She told me that. I thought, what the heck — she was the next one behind me, I put her in that first officer's chair.”
- — Patrick and Andrea
- From Baldwin's perspective, the first act of this story occurs immediately after the events of Time's Eagle
- The Dominion invasion of Betazed from DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight" is mentioned.
- The USS Nimitz and her crew are introduced.
- This is the last story in USS Baldwin's first "season"
Captain's View Full text of the story, on the author's website.