F. Sigmund Mead, "A Summary of the Physiological Roots of Andorian Culture" (Journal of Xenoanthropology, June 2341), edited by Leslie Fish, is a short article on Andorian culture first published in Sehlat's Roar #2, a 1970s fanzine published by Randy Ash, illustrated with line art and quotations from poems and songs.
Table of contentsEdit
- General description
- Coloration and its effects
- Significance of the antennae
- Cultural effects of diet
- Complexity of the reproductive mechanism
- Cultural effects of the reproductive process
- Social effects of Andorian fertility
- Cultural effects of the clan-centered social structure
- Social checks on aggression
- The effects of space travel and Federation membership
- Andorian women have six breasts.
- Andorians are telepathic through their antennae.
- The Andorian homeworld is not the ice ball seen in Star Trek: Enterprise.
- Andorians are androgynous until they fall in love, at which point they change physically and cannot fall in love again.
Differences from DS9 relaunchEdit
- This article describes Andorians as having two sexes, but each sex has two roles during reproduction, and can spend time as a individual of neuter gender.
- The biggest social population consequence they face is overpopulation.
- With a little ingenuity and creative license one can interpret the four-gendered society in the DS9 relaunch as a different Andorian culture that built different rituals around the same biological facts.